Select a Scholarship
Location of Student
Congress-Bundestag Youth Exchange
YFU Scholarship Information Sheet
At a Glance
December 1, 2015
- School Year (summer departure)
Please refer to individual country pages for program duration and departure times.
2014-2015 CBYX Scholar Clara Holder meets German Chancellor Angela Merkel.
- This is a full scholarship.
- The Congress-Bundestag Youth Exchange program, sponsored by the U.S. Department of State, is for motivated high school students who want to live with a host family and attend school for an academic year in Germany. No previous language experience is required. Students who have previously participated in a semester or year exchange in another country are not eligible for the Germany programs and scholarships.
- To be eligible, you must:
- Be a U.S. citizen, national or permanent resident
- Have a GPA of 3.0 or better on a 4.0 scale
- Reside in one of the following states: Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, and Nebraska.
- Students must be born between April 1, 1998 and August 1, 2001. Students who do not meet this age requirement or will graduate from high school before the start of their program will be considered for admission on a case-by-case basis.
Complete Application Includes:
- 1 Teacher Recommendation
- Host Family Letter
- 3 Short Answer Essay Questions
- Complete Online Application
- Host Family Letter
- Health Certificate
- Parent-student agreement
- School Certificate
- 5 Candid photos
- 1 Passport size photo
- Application fee to be paid by the sponsor.
- Round-trip international travel
- Placement with a carefully selected host family
- Regional orientation for scholarship recipients and parents
- Preparatory materials
- Support services in host country
- Medical insurance coverage
Scholarship Recipients are Responsible for:
- Round-trip domestic travel – PLEASE NOTE: the majority of programs offered by YFU cover domestic travel, but Congress-Bundestag winners are required to purchase domestic travel to an international gateway airport.
- Visa fees (if necessary)
- Any excess luggage tariffs
- Personal spending money
PLEASE KEEP A COPY OF THIS PAGE AND YOUR APPLICATION MATERIALS FOR YOUR REFERENCE.
If applying for multiple scholarships, please indicate each scholarship's name and code on your application. All scholarship recipients are required to travel on the YFU group travel dates, and to complete the entire program. For more information regarding YFU and the scholarship selection process call 1.800.TEENAGE or refer to the Scholarships Overview section of this web site.
Note: Scholarship programs are subject to change or cancellation without prior notice.