Select a Scholarship
Location of Student
YFU Scholarship Information Sheet
At a Glance
December 1, 2015
Please refer to individual country pages for program duration and departure times.
- This is a full scholarship.
- One full summer scholarship for a student attending public or private high school or home-schooled in Boone, Campbell, or Kenton County, Kentucky.
One (1) full summer scholarship for a student attending public or private high school or home-schooled in Washtenaw County, Michigan; Maricopa County, Arizona; or LAUSD Local District South, California.
- Students applying for this program may not apply for other TEMA-sponsored scholarships. Only US citizens may apply. Previous recipients are not eligible.
- Applicant's birth date must fall between birthdates specified on the country specific page.
- $75 (non-refundable) Please make check payable to YFU.
Complete Application Includes:
- Complete Online Application
- 1 Teacher Recommendation
- Host Family Letter
- 3 Short Answer Essay Questions
- Application Fee (non-refundable)
- Health Certificate
- Parent-student agreement
- 5 Candid photos
- 1 passport-style photo
- Round-trip international travel
- Round-trip domestic travel
- Placement with a carefully selected host family
- Regional orientation for scholarship recipients and parents
- Preparatory materials
- Support services in host country
- Three-day Japan specific orientation at the beginning of the program (if going to Japan)
Scholarship Recipients are Responsible for:
- Visa fees (if necessary)
- Any excess luggage tariffs
- Required overseas medical insurance (many insurance policies will cover students while traveling abroad)
- Personal spending money
- Upon returning home, scholarship winners are expected to complete at least one presentation in their school or community to share their experiences, teach others about the culture in their host country, and encourage other students to participate in foreign exchange.
- Within one month of returning home, the student must provide a report and photos detailing their exchange experience to their scholarship sponsor.
2016 Japan scholarship winners will participate in a special mandatory orientation in California at University of California at Berkley. Toyota-TEMA recipients will depart for orientation on June 12th and will leave for Japan immediately after orientation on June 15th. Students will return from Japan on July 28th.
- All applicants will be notified of their status in April.
PLEASE KEEP A COPY OF THIS PAGE AND YOUR APPLICATION MATERIALS FOR YOUR REFERENCE.
If applying for multiple scholarships, please indicate each scholarship's name and code on your application. All scholarship recipients are required to travel on the YFU group travel dates, and to complete the entire program. For more information regarding YFU and the scholarship selection process call 1.800.TEENAGE or refer to the Scholarships Overview section of this web site.
Note: Scholarship programs are subject to change or cancellation without prior notice.